Independent Study 3
Student: Jehong Song
Topic: Lecture: The first Emperor of China
1. During what years did Qin Shihuang live?
2. What was Qin Shihuang’s name before he became emperor?
3. In what year did Yin Zheng unify the empire of China?
4. What did Ying Zheng’s defeat of the six regional kingdoms achieve?
1) Ended the power of other 6 kingdoms
2) Unification 7 kingdoms started centralized imperial system lasted 2000 years
5. When he became Emperor, what administrative changes did he make?
1) Standardized system of writing (Chinese character)
2) One system of weights and measures (currency)
3) The great wall China. Joined some walls. (1500 miles)
4) Construction of 3 high ways (comparison of roman high ways)
6. Explain the measures Qin Shihuang took to unify his empire in terms of the writings and currency systems.
Writing of Chinese character and currency system differed before unification. Qin Shihuang ordered to unify these factors for simplicity and convenience.
7. How many laborers do historians believe were involved in building the first Emperor’s House of Eternity?
700000 labors were used. They worked 11years. The size is 56.25km2.
8. How long did construction of the emperor’s tomb take?
221-210 b.c.e. It took 11 years.
9. Why do archaeologists believe mercury may have been used to create the image of flowing rivers in the tomb?
Because of high mercury content, 10 times higher than that of the surrounding area.
10. What is the significance of the following years for the first Emperor’s tomb?
Task 2. Research (60 words)
Write a short paper on the topic
3. Another great archaeological discovery
As well as the finding of the first tomb of the ancient Chinese emperor, I believe, the ancient pyramids of Egypt surprised...